Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Dad, My Hero

I have tried to sit down and write this a few times already this morning but I just end up tearing up and walking away. I know my tears are because I miss him so much and I pray for his safety at all times. I also think my tears are of anger and hurt. It makes me feel really selfish because I know what he has done and what he is doing is making things for the better.

My amazing Dad has been in the United States Army for 27 years. He made a sacrifice to our country that many people can't even begin to wrap their minds around. Not only did he make sacrifices but my whole family did as well. Growing up I think we were really lucky because he really wasn't gone all that much. When I tell people he is in the Army they imagine he was gone the entire time and never saw us. He wasn't gone that much. He went to Korea for a year when I was about 5. I don't really remember him being gone. I just remember I got a very beautiful doll when he came back. He went back and forth to Kuwait but it was only for weeks at a time. Around 7 years ago my Dad was ready to get out the Army. He had all his paperwork in and already had a job lined up. It was a scary time in our house because thats all we had known for our whole lives. Unfortunately, 9/11 happened and the 'War On Terror' began. My dad was stop loss, meaning he wasn't allowed to retire. Soon after my whole town began to become a ghost town. My dad left, too. His knees are horrible. He can barely run anymore(He did a half marathon last week though! Go Dad!). Even though he has been in for awhile and it has been his time to retire he doesn't mind staying. He wants to do it because its his job to do it.

Currently, my Dad is still not out of the Army. He is in Iraq doing his thing. He plans to hopefully retire next year when he comes back. I miss him so much everyday. I'm sad that he can't just fly up and see his grandson whenever he wants to. At the same time I have a enourmous amount of repsect for him. He really is my hero. He has taught me so many things by just being in the Army. Things that one day I hope I can teach Gage.

So on this day I think of my Dad. My very own superhero. He is ridding the world of terror.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like an amazing man. I have a good friend over there and I think about him all the time, especially on days like today. I'll be keeping your father in my thoughts when I think about him now, hoping both of them continue to come home safely to us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! He sounds like a great man! I will keep him in my prayers for his safety while he's over there! Hopefully they'll get to come home soon!

Badass Geek said...

Your father does sound like a great man. He definately has my respect.

Tânia Pinto said...

Oh gosh it has already been 7 years since 9/11? It seems it was yesterday...
Hope your dad stays safe! My thoughts are with him!
Keep your smile Meg :) I'm sure your dad wouldn't like to see you cry :) Think positive!

Anonymous said...

Meg -- Here's to hero fathers!!!

My dad has been in the Army for 42 years (he joined at 17) and is still trucking along. He's tried to retire three times. He missed the birth of his first grandchild, my Jack, because he was in Iraq. He's been back numerous time since.

Prayers and thoughts with your Dad in Iraq and all the men and women serving our contry.

Valerie said...

You are blessed to have such an amazing father.

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

How sweet! You have got to copy that and send it to him. I'll bet it would mean so much. Are dads great?

Rachel said...

You said it perfectly; he is lucky to have a daughter like you. We will be thinking of him and his safe return. What a great dad you have!

Heather said...

Please tell your dad we appreciate what he's doing for us.

Whitney said...

Wow. Please thank your dad for me. The things they do for our freedom and our country is absolutely amazing. I am sorry that you can't up and see your dad whenever you want, but you will get to soon. And you and Gage will have one fantastic dad/grandpa to hug! :)

sj said...

we are very lucky to have people like your dad to protect us here - and the lives of so many people all over the world.

he is a hero, and i'm sure that he's helped make you into the woman you are today.

let's hear it for dads! :)

Teachinfourth said...

I'm grateful for men and women like your father...

Jessica @ Piece Of Me said...

I know how you feel and you are in no way being selfish. Its extremely hard to have someone you love so much in harms way. My husband has been in the military for a little over five years and has been deployed twice. You only hear the stories of a friends friend who got stop-loss, so I couldn't imagine it really happening. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Ashley said...

Your dad is an amazing hero Meg.

Prettymom said...

wow you have a wonderful dad, i hope and pray for his safety in Iraq. honestly I am almost teary eyed when i finish reading this post. thanks for the drop see you around soon