Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Down A Narrow Lane


The other day we decided to go apple picking with friends.Last year around this time I went apple picking with the same friend and her son. It feels like a tradition now. I kind of like that. I didn't have too many traditions with friends growing up being that I was constantly moving. The apple orchard is actually right down the road. We could walk there but decided to be lazy(Am I really that lazy?!) and just drive.

We get there, lug the huge wagon out of the car(that the boys never even sat in!) and found out they changed their system from last year. You have to prepay for bag and then you just fill it up. Last year it was by pound. The cheapest bag they had was $8. It looked like a pretty small bag, though. These were some expensive apples we were about to pick. All of us came to the conclusion that you are pretty much paying for the experience not really the amount of apples. At first I was a little angry because I am a money saving fool and this seemed ridiculous. After awhile though I calmed down because it really was a great experience. Gage actually ATE apples. Gage will only eat chicken nuggets and he actually ate an apple. I would have paid $20 if I knew that was going to happen. Gage had a lot of fun running around with his little buddy. They climbed under the trees and walked through a pumpkin patch. The 4 adults laughed and talked about the wedding the friends just had. It really was a great time. Hopefully, we will still be living here next year to go again with them.

When we got home I realized that my little $8 bag wasn't really THAT little. It still wasn't worth $8 but it wasn't a small amount of apples. That bag can hold a lot of freakin' apples.I have no clue what to do with them all. I guess I can go on the3-apple a day diet but then I might hate apples FOREVER and wouldn't that suck? I could bake except I don't like apple pie and thats all I can think of to make. Thank Goodness Gage decided he likes apples now because he will be eating them for a few weeks.

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Awww...sooo cute! No friggin apple orchards here unless you count people selling them on the side of the road! I'm jealous...I wanna pick some damn apples!!

Badass Geek said...

Apple picking is fun!

Angie said...

Cute picture! I love fall and all the fun stuff that goes with it. Glad you got out and indulged in some good ol' fall fun!

Teachinfourth said...

I love the 'tude. Realizing that sometimes we pay for the experience.

Whitney said...

Apple picking! How fun! I want to go pick some apples...even though I'm not a huge fan of apples. Hmmm - but it sounds like fun, and I love me some apple pie! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really fun trip! I was the same growing up in that we moved too often to have a lot of "traditions" etc.

Glad Gage likes the apples - but definitely go online and search for apple recipes, there are a lot of great ones especially this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds like fun! And I love the picture!

sj said...

adorable!

i say make your own applesauce. that should use up quite a bit. there are also some great pork recipes that call for chopped apples...

i so want to do that this weekend!

Unknown said...

i am so jealous! that sounds like SO much fun. definitley worth the 8 bucks. well, i was going to suggest the apple pie. i guess you could make it and give it to a neighbor! spread the wealth! they're also good on a turkey and bacon sandwich. YUM ;)

Michelle said...

Fall is here! yea!

You can make an apple strudel of some sort or dumplings. I am sure you can find a great recipe from one of us blogger ladies :)

Megan said...

Apple picking is fun! And yay for Gage eating apples!!

Tânia Pinto said...

So cool Gage had that much fun :)
Hmmm... I'd say... Apple Jam? Apple Muffins? Apple milkshake?
Actually, some kinds of meat taste very good with apple... Cooked or not... :)

Bah... Now I'm hungry!

Weeksie50 said...

Oh, I wish I could take my class apple picking..there isn't a farm around here..Ugh.

Cute pictures..

Anonymous said...

Appletinis??

Lump said...

TOO CUTE! a nice crisp juicy apple sounds so damn good right now. ;)

Unknown said...

um, THANK YOU SO MUCH for my incredible swap buddy package! you are so awesome! i love all of your favorite things :) i can't wait to read those books, and i have plenty of pictures to stick in that sweet album. AND i just recently lost my gardening gloves...did i post about that? or are you just that smart??? thank you SO very much for thinking of me andletting me be a part of my own swap. you are definitely a great friend :)

oh ps...i am mailing you your package tomorrow! so sorry about the delay...the storm and power outage has totally messed up my schedule...

Liz Harrell said...

Aw, adorable picture! I do this at a local pumpkin farm, always overcharged. But you're right, it's the experience.

I'm loving your fall background, btw.