Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank you for being a friend

I opened up my internet browser a few minutes ago and staring back at me was Sophia from Golden Girls. Sophia(Estelle Getty) passed away this morning. She was 84 years old. My heart is broken. I've watched&love the Golden Girls(thanks, Dad!) for as long as I can remember. To me the Girls are never suppose to die and in a way they won't. I just have to get my hands on a box set. Anyway, Sophia was my favorite girl. I could always count on her for a good laugh. For that I will be forever grateful.



Rest in peace, Estelle.
Here are some of my favorite Sophia quotes:
"There's just something I don't like about him. I can't put my finger on it, but if I did, I would have to wash it."

"Sophia: And don't forget the accident you had in that car.
Stan: What accident?
Sophia: I'll give you a hint: it costs me ten bucks every Christmas, and still calls me grandma."

"Dorothy: Ma, where have you been?
Sophia: I always believe that when you're in a hospital, you should go around and cheer the other patients up.
Dorothy: Oh Ma, that's so nice.
Sophia: Yeah, so I went upstairs to Geriatrics and sang 'Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better'."
---------------
Adam just came home from work and the first thing I said to him(in a sad voice because I am sad) was "Guess who died today?" and he looked at my all concerned "Who?" and I said "Sophia from the Golden Girls". He paused for a second and said "Shit, Megan, you scared me. I thought it was someone we knew"
I don't think he appreciates the Girls like I do.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hadn't heard that!

I LOVED the Golden Girls and Sophia was my favorite, too!

KatBouska said...

Awwwww...I hadn't heard this yet either. :( I'll miss Sophia...but she was REALLY old.

Maybe you could name your next cat Sohia.

Megan said...

Oh man, I didn't know that! Thanks for being the bearer of bad news! (jk) I loveeed watching Golden Girls! Your husband's comment was funny!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Wow! You really DO love you some Golden Girls. Quotes and everything! Thanks for stopping by my blog . . . yes, I am in RI! This blogosphere is insane, you never know who you'll bump into!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

PS How sad about Estelle Getty. She was hilarious. Totally the hit of the show.

Briya said...

Somebody called me to tell me. I was watching the Golden Girls just this morning!

Meg said...

I just wanted to let everyone know that even though I do love the Golden Girls and not afraid to say , I don't have posters of them hanging on my walls. I will be okay.

Whitney said...

Oh Sophia! I, too, saw this. On Yahoo's homepage, I believe. Anyway. Sad day. :*(

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't have Golden Girl posters on your wall Meg?! I used to watch them too when I was a teenager and they all were incredibly funny.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

I saw that yesterday, and was very sad to hear of her passing. Sophia was my favorite as well. Who could not love her - she had all the great zingers?

Funny, I started to watch because of my dad, too. But when I was alone in my dorm room in college, I was still watching.:)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Amy said...

Meg,

Just in case that scrapbooking bug gets ya, I go to the Friday Night crops sometimes at this great store in N. Attleboro (just north of Providence): Right at Home.
Take care,
Amy

Blogger said...

She was funny, wasn't she? That couch always makes me chuckle, too...it was so 80's Tropical...but I still love it, loved the whole GG home, it felt like home whenever you watched them gather around the kitchen table:)

Nice to meet you :)