Friday, July 25, 2008

Stink Palm Inspired Movie List

At work I sit in a room all by myself. It is really boring but all the cool people stop in to visit throughout the night. Last night one of those cool cats, Ian, came in with a bag of chocolate covered pretzels. This instantly reminded me of a scene from the movie Mallrats. From this moment on I realized Ian wasn't as cool as originally thought. He haasn't seen Mallrats and couldn't join me in my fit of giggles about the Stink Palm. To make matters worse not only has he never seen it but he hasn't even heard of the movie. Can this even be possible? Well, obviously it is. Thanks, Ian. It shouldn't be, though! I think it should be against the law not have seen "classic" movies like Mallrats.

So this, of course, got me thinking about other movies that should be against the law if you haven't seen them. After this thought I sat down and tried to come up with a list of movies. My list kept growing and growing. It was about grow legs and run away! I had a lot of movies. I decided that I needed to narrow it down to about 10 movies. After some suggestions from more cool people that dropped by I came up with a very rough list of 10.

Top 10 Movies I'd Be Shocked If You Haven't Seen
-Star Wars
-Lord Of The Rings
-Forrest Gump
-Titanic
-The Breakfast Club
-Top Gun
-Pretty Woman
-Groundhog Day
-The Shining
-The Shawshank Redemption

So there is my list. I'm 100% happy about it but it will have to work because I am about to go take a nap.

What are some movies that would make your top 10? I'm not talking about what your favorite movies are(My favorite movie is Matilda!) but movies you would be shocked if someone you knew said they have never seen.

18 comments:

MereinSC said...

i have seen all of the movies in your list but i have never seen mallrats (i have heard of it though). i guess i need to go rent that now.

my list would be:
1.)Casablanca
2.)Sixteen Candles
3.)Jurassic Park
4.)Forrest Gump
5.)E.T.
6.)At least one Star Wars movie
7.)At least one Godfather
8.)It's a Wonderful Life
9.)Cinderella
10.)Titanic

I think that's a pretty round list... I tried not to take too many from your list ;)

Have a nice weekend!

Pleasant Living said...

Too funny! I must admit, I've never seen Mallrats, nor have I heard of it. My husband is always beside himself when I gently admit to not having seen many features he deems "classic". I can't help it. I have 2 sisters, and for about 22 years of my life, if it wasn't a romantic comedy, I didn't watch it. I'm happy to say that I'm broadening my horizons, but I still have a long way to go. I've also never seen any Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings, or The Shining.

Bee said...

In no particular order:
1. Star Wars
2. E.T.
3 When Harry Met Sally
4. Titanic
5. Indiana Jones
6. Forrest Gump
7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
8. Naked Gun
9. Grease
10. Goonies

And can you believe I've never seen Lord of the Rings. I've watched snippets. I really should, because my husband always references it. He even fell in love with my engagement ring because it looked like the architecture in an elfin village:)

Anonymous said...

Elise beat me to it, I was going to say if someone had said they had never seen Grease, then they must have lived a very sheltered life!

Teachinfourth said...

Whew, I got a 90% on your list for "having seen." I think I passed.

Mereinsc - I only got an 80% with your list.

Elise - 100% baby!

I would have to add:

The Sixth Sense
Ghostbusters
Jerry Maguire
The Three Amigos
ANY Indiana Jones Movie
Raising Arizona
Ferris Buehler’s Day Off
The Karate Kid (part 1)
What About Bob?
The Wizard of Oz

Meg said...

All good movies! From all of the lists these are the ones I need to get a watchin'

Casablanca
Its a Wonderful life
What About bob?

Whitney said...

This is too funny because a girl at work yesterday forced me to make a list of the movies she recommended that I haven't seen, so that I would watch them. She was horrified that I had not seen Beaches, Smokey and the Bandit, Terms of Endearment or Driving Miss Daisy. Oh, and Pet Cemetary. HA HA!

I see that her and your list are very very different. Hmmm... this was a very fun post! :)

Heather said...

I agree with everyone's top ten. I would like to add Romancing the Stone, A Walk in the Clouds, The Princess Bride, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Unknown said...

hmmm...i've seen 7 out of your 10. Mereinsc has a good list...I'd have to agree with her on most of those...and my addition: Home Alone and What About Bob!

Lump said...

OHMYGOODNESS I LOVE Mallrats. I think I have every line memorized from that movie. Ha! as well as from the movie Chasing Amy.

and yep, I would be shocked if someone hasn't seen that list of movies either! ;)

Alison said...

I've never seen Mallrats (though I have heard of it) or The Shining, because I don't do scary movies.

Um, there are some good ones here-- I'd say The Princess Bride, Grease, When Harry Met Sally...I have a few more favorites, but I wouldn't be shocked if the person hadn't seen Breakfast at Tiffany's or Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Megan said...

I haven't seen 2 of the movies on your list, but wont mention which ones to avoid public embarrassment!

Mine (in no particular order)
-Blood Diamond
-Titanic
-The Notebook
-Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (old one)
-Grease


...ok I can't think of any more that I would be totally shocked if someone hadn't seen! My mind is somewhere else today!

Ashley said...

Here's my list, in no particular order.

- Full Metal Jacket
- The Wizard of Oz
- A Rocky Movie
- A Star Wars Movie
- Apollo 13
- Ghostbusters
- Father of the Bride
- The Silence of Lambs
- The Lion King
- The Shawshank Redemption

Matt said...

Hello Queens, I came here from Momma's Losin It. I loved the list but I think if you are going to get people to go watch Mallrats, which they should, you should let them know about the New Jersey Chronicles. Somebody already mentioned Chasing Amy, my favorite, but also see Clerks.

Peace.

Matt
www.idealcrap.com

Badass Geek said...

Are you ready to be shocked?

Movies On Your List I Haven't Seen:

- Titanic
- Groundhog Day
- The Shining
- Shawshank Redemption

Six out of ten ain't bad, right?

Tam said...

Hey anybody notice that JC Penney's back to school add is copying BREAKFAST CLUB???

Rocky Movies anyone????

Unknown said...

WOW i havent seen like most of those movies...how sad am I

Dirty White boy said...

you had me at choc. covered pretzels. lol.