Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Coasting Thoughts

I always wonder if people actually like my handmade gifts that they recieve. I was always taught that handmade gifts are the gifts that come from the heart. My mom was a crafty person and was always making something while I was growing up. I loved it and would love anything anyone ever gave me that was crafted from their own hands. I wish I knew if other people felt the same way.

Tonight(yesterday, actually)I looked up my friends wedding registry. Her shower is this weekend but I didn't plan to get her anything off the registry. I had a few special gifts in mind. One being a gift that I made and the other a kitchen appliance that will come in handy in our many pizza making adventures. While browsing the sites I came across my gift that I made her. My heart instantly sank. Of course, it isn't the SAME thing but its the same item. She picked out a lovely set of coasters, which someone has already bought her. She picked the coasters out. She likes them. She wants them otherwise they wouldn't be on her registry. If you haven't figured it out I made her a set of coasters myself.

I want her to understand why I made the coasters. They really remind me of her. When I think of her personality it reminds me of a beach. If she could live and spend all day at the beach I know that she would. She is even getting married on the beach. I love her to death. So to show just that I wanted to make her something beautiful just like the gal she is. As soon as I saw blue/green glistening half marbles I knew it said her. I didn't even have to think twice about it. After that I walked over to the grout and picked a color that looks like sand from a beach. The grout is actually called Macadamia but it should be renamed to Sandy Beaches. I think they came out beautiful.

I put thought, time, heart, and soul into making them. I don't want them to get stashed in the back of a closet. I want glasses to be sat upon them. I want them to have life.

What I'm up against:


What I made:




Do I stand a chance?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I think they are beautiful! I always loved walking into your house and seeing all the things you made. I like to make things too, but can never really gather my ideas enough to make something. If you don't want to give them to her - send them my way. I'd definitely display them with love <3!

Teachinfourth said...

In the right setting, they are great, however, I worry about tables getting scratched when they are put down (sharp edges & such).

The main point is is that the gift came from the heart, and if you explained why you made them , I think it would be appreciated all the more.

Bee said...

Of course you stand a chance! If your friend is as wonderful as you make her sound, she will love and cherish those coasters! I know I would:) I agree with teachinfourth. Just explain your inspiration, and they will be very appreciated.

You've inspired me to write a post about a gift a made for my husband when we were dating. Stay tuned!

CONNIE said...

I'm sure she'll appreciate them especially that you made them for her! Besides it's always nice to have extra set. Great job, Meg!

Megan said...

I realy like the coasters. Yours look way cuter, the others to me are "stiff". In fact, I like them so much I think you should make another set and do a giveaway. I will DEFINITELY enter that contest. (and cross my fingers for a win!)

island girl said...

You absolutely stand a chance! (And what a crafty girl you are.) I like yours much better than the other ones. I'm a big fan of homemade gifts - they're so much more personable and come from the heart.